121Rentals Menu
Book Your Rental Now

Mandatory Docs

“Uncertain about what you need to bring on the day you collect your hire car? Allow us to assist you by providing an explanation of precisely what you’ll need with our 6-point checklist.

1. Driving Licence:

  • If you are a resident of England, Scotland, or Wales, simply bring the card part of your driver’s licence along with your DVLA check code (see point 4).
  • For the rest of the UK and Ireland, you will need to bring both the card and paper parts of your licence.
  • If you only have the paper counterpart, then you must bring an additional photographic ID.
  • Your driver’s licence must be in-date and valid for driving a Category B vehicle.
  • You must be 25 years or older to hire a vehicle from 121 Rental Cars and have held a valid driving licence for at least 3 years
  • International licences must be readable in English; otherwise, you must provide your international driver’s permit alongside.
  • Your licence will be scanned into our system and returned to you before you leave our branch.
  • Hirers from some International locations may require referral to our insurers. All hirers, except those holding a UK or EU license, must have held a valid license for 3 years; otherwise, 121Rentals will need to refer your license to our insurers for authority to hire.
  • Hirers from any sanctioned countries require referral to our insurers prior to the start of the hire.
  • EU license holders who have resided in the UK for over 3 years must obtain a UK license.
  • Non-UK or EU license holders must obtain a UK license if they have resided in the UK for over 1 year.

2. Proof of Address:

  • If you are a UK resident, you will need to provide two proofs of address with your name on them, dated within the last three months of the hire start date.
  • Accepted official documents include utility bills, bank statements, letters from the council/electoral roll, etc.
  • Your proofs will be scanned into our system and returned to you before you leave our branch. We can also accept electronic copies of these proofs via a handheld device or emailed to the branch.

3. Valid Credit Card:

  • A valid credit card with sufficient available balance to cover your deposit (£500-£2500), plus the card used for your booking (if different).
  • The payment card must be in the name of the main driver.
  • Debit cards are accepted for hiring a car by choosing one of our Insurance excess waivers, with some terms and conditions.
  • Your card will be placed into our card machine, and you will be asked to enter your PIN. Your card will be pre-authorized and returned to you immediately.

4. DVLA Check Code (UK HIRERS ONLY):

  • For us to verify that your licence is clean and valid, we require a DVLA check code, which is free to obtain from the DVLA website.
  • Please bring the case-sensitive code with you when you collect your vehicle. Failure to bring this code will result in a call to the premium-rate DVLA number, incurring an additional charge of £10.
  • Your code will be entered into our system, and the staff member will inform you immediately if you have been approved or not.

5. Travel Documents:

  • If you are flying into the UK to collect your car, you will need to provide your passport (or ID card) and a return ticket.
  • If your driving licence has a UK address but you no longer reside in the UK, you will need to present a return ticket or proof of your overseas address.
  • We will accept a copy of a paper bill or one from a mobile device/tablet.
  • Your proofs will be scanned into our system and returned to you before you leave our branch.

6. Local Hirers (UK Residents):

  • A local hirer is someone who is a UK resident.
  • You will ALSO need the following if you are a local hirer:
    • Proof of employment (recent payslips, employee contract, etc.) 
    • Proof of age 25 or older at the time of the rental (Passport, Licence, Birth Certificate, ID card, etc.).
    • Debit cards are allowed to take payments but credit card is needed for excess deposit only.
    • Category A, B, C, or D vehicle fitted with a telematics tracker only.

If you are still uncertain or have any questions, please contact our Live Chat team or Reservations.”